Latest Posts

OOTD - December 21, 2011

By 11:58 AM , , , , , , ,



Hey y'all!
I'm really excited about this outfit of the day because, well, I loved wearing it!  In all honesty, this was an event that I went to last month, but just had to share with you guys.


I wore this to a Phi Kappa Tau philanthropy event in November.  It was my third year going, and I love it every year!  For most of the more formal events I've been to, I tend to go with the same look:  Dramatic eyes, hair curled, big, and down, and silver jewelry(why?  Who knows. It's just my go-to, I guess.)  But for this, I wanted to do something a little different...  Starting with my hair.
I've never been a fan of wearing my hair up.  The shorter my hair appears, the fatter my body looks - in my head.  I know, I know, it's crazy...  But I'm a female and sometimes we get to be a little crazy, right?
So I decided to wear my hair up.  Not half up, not 3/4 up, but 100% up.  And guess what?  I LOVED it!  I was inspired by Carrie Underwood's look, here:
 


And found a pretty spectacular how-to on youtube (found here).  I wish I had gotten a picture of the back!  It turned out nearly identical - all thanks to that video.  The steps were so easy!  
So my hair was done.  And I wanted to wear a simple, black dress with it...  Hmm, but what dress?  I've probably already told y'all I own about 10 million LBDs, but this one is probably my favorite.  Why?
It is vintage.
It is from the 1950's, and I got it at a store in my hometown called "Thursdays".  It was $3(amazing), fit like a glove, and vintage.  With the matte look from the ribs down, the big satin bow, and the sequined top - how could I not be in love?  Only one problem:  The seams were vintage, too.   The night before the event I was sitting in my living room, reenforcing all of the back seams myself.  A small price to pay for such a gorgeous dress!
I have been wanting to try out the nude shoe trend, and when I went out looking for the right shoe, I thought it would be easy.  Wow, I was wrong!  Matching a flattering "nude" shade to your own skin tone is a lot harder than I ever would have thought!  I originally was looking for a classic pump-style shoe, but what I found a more suede-looking shoe.  


I know my toes are looking like shrimp trying to escape in this picture, but I swear they weren't that cramped in there all night!  The shoes were surprisingly comfortable and for $29.99 at Charlotte Russe, a pretty wonderful deal.
With the shoes, hair, and dress all being pretty attention grabbing pieces, I didn't want to have any overly flashy jewelry.  And sticking with the "classic" look that I was trying to achieve, I decided to go with pearls!  What southern belle doesn't feel like the classiest gal in town when wearing pearls?  Alas, I am a poor belle myself, and couldn't just skip to the jewelry store for a strand of pearls.  So I hit up Forever 21 and grabbed a looped faux-pearl necklace, earrings, and a set of pearl/gold bangles.  It may sound like a lot, but I'd say that it wasn't overkill - what do you think?  All in all I spent less than $25 on the jewelry for the outfit.

As far as makeup went, I wanted to keep it somewhat simple as well - I went with silvery eyeshadows and rosy cheeks(which wasn't too hard..  I was a bit sunburned! Boo!).  

How do you guys like it?  I think next time I'll go back to good ole' bouncy curls and flashy eyes, but I enjoyed this look for a little change.  Oh, and my date didn't look that bad, either ;)







You Might Also Like

1 comments