Latest Posts

My Living Room

By 4:09 AM , , , , , , ,

The Boyfriend and I have always had an abundance of furniture.  When we first moved in together, it was overwhelmingly apparent - between the two of us, we had, just to name a few:
2 couch and loveseat sets
2 other loveseats
1 arm chair with ottoman
2 entertainment centers
2 computer desks
2 dining table sets 
4 area rugs

...  And probably a lot more that I just can't think of at the moment.  The obvious thing would have been to sell some of it, but at the time we had only been dating two years, and while it's not that romantic, I just wouldn't want to end up furniture-less because of a breakup.  After our first roommate moved out, he relieved us of one of the couch and loveseat sets - unfortunately, it was the set that we used in the living room.  It was a lovely brown microfiber set, that just seemed to go with everything.  Our only other matching set was an olive damask one.  Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful set - in fact, it was mine, and my first set that I'd owned - but it was entirely too formal and not exactly comfortable, either.  
The olive damask set, as seen in the one bedroom home I used to rent prior to living with The Boyfriend
So, once our first roommate moved out, I did the only sensible thing:  I bought more furniture!  I know I sound like a crazy person, but I think it worked out pretty well.  I was able to find a bonded leather sectional, for a really amazing price.  So our living room transformed from this:
Not pictured: Entertainment center on right wall, cattycorner matching microfiber loveseat on left.  Yes, the deer was my idea, and I fought for it. 
To this:
Hooray! I discovered the wonders of panorama. 
I eventually finished decorating the walls and entertainment center, and present-day, it looks like this:
Excuse my lack of cleaning up on the entertainment center. Also, Delilah demanded to be front and center.
This set-up worked out tremendously well, since it was just The Boyfriend and I living in the space (plus our 3 animals, but I digress).  Well, we are welcoming a new roommate into the home shortly, and even though the sectional is large - we definitely need more space.  Obviously, we have couches/loveseats available, but I'm pretty obsessive strict about keeping in line with the style of the room, and none of our current options match well.  
But, but!  Do you see the plaid ottoman the lovely Delilah is sitting on in the above picture?  It belongs to The Boyfriend, and has just recently made its way into our living room after being in storage for the last two years.  It also has a matching plaid arm chair.  The style isn't quite my taste, so I've never really considered including in the living space.  But with the arrival of a new roommate looming, The Boyfriend graciously allowed me to reupholster it.  I was thrilled.  After searching for the right fabric to cover it with, I decided to definitely go with a deep currant, wine, or mahogany colored fabric. This is still a new project for me, and I am so thrilled to get the ball rolling!  Unfortunately, the chair itself is still in our storage shed in our backyard, so until the constant January rain stops and our yard becomes less mushy...  I'll have to put it off. 
I'm still very proud of how far my living room has come, and of the projects coming up!  I will likely be continuing to rent this home until I move out of the city, which will be some time next year.  I'll probably hate to undo it all by the time I'm finished!
How do ya'll feel about my living space?  Do you have any projects currently going on in yours? Leave me a comment and let me know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments