Latest Posts

Fourth Anniversary with The Boyfriend

By 11:35 PM , , , , , , ,

Image from this blog.

In about 5 hours time, The Boyfriend and I will have been officially dating for 4 years.
4. Four. Four years. 1,460 days. 48 months.

I've frequently said this to those around me, but it still rings so true.  Some times, I really do feel like we just started dating.  Other times, I feel like he's been a part of me my entire life.  
I think that's how a relationship is supposed to feel.
I haven't always been so lucky in love, though.  I've gone through some downright shitty (sorry, readers) relationships.  I've dated guys who have talked down to me, tried to change me, even flat out were verbally abusive.  When I first started dating The Boyfriend, I wasn't used to a healthy relationship.  I didn't know that not arguing 5 days out of the week was an option.  We've never really fought often, or long, but it was so completely new to me.  I would occasionally create issues in my head, which is something I still struggle with not doing now.  I would convince myself he was bored, unhappy, or that I was boring.  The reality of it all?  We just weren't in combat.  We weren't fighting, there was nothing wrong.  
There was nothing wrong, and that was new to me. Not being at war with the one you love shouldn't have to be something anyone needs to "adjust" to.
I'm writing this post not to compare my current relationship to my negative ones in the past, but in celebration of 4 happy, amazing years with the man I am deeply in love with.  But  I would like it to also serve as a reminder for any of my readers who may need it:  There are good people out there, there are people who know you are good.  Loving The Boyfriend comes naturally; it's easy.  That's how it should be.  I'm not saying a relationship is easy, and sure as hell not a 4 year one.  I'm not kidding myself.  But the act of being loved and giving it in return.  I'm talking about the little things.  The things like how whenever something funny or important happens in my life, he's the first one I want to share it with.  The things like how if I'm upset, he's who I know I can go to for comfort.  The things like how I look forward to seeing him every morning, noon, and and night.
He's at work this evening, so we won't really be celebrating out anniversary until tomorrow or so.  But thinking on the last four years makes me so happy, and I wanted to share with all of you at least a little something.  I hope you all have fantastic evenings!

You Might Also Like

0 comments