Latest Posts

Mississippi Canvas Art

By 1:35 AM , , , , , , , , , ,

Good morning ya'll!
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the popular website Pinterest.  I go there for inspiration in so many aspects of my life - home decor, recipes, organization, and projects, just to name a few.

I recently stumbled upon a beautiful piece of home decor for sale on Etsy, and I just had to recreate it.  The original is a beautiful piece by Etsy shop owner blessedcatastrophe, and you can find her shop here

Mine was no where near as perfect as hers, but I still think it turned out alright!  I was going for abit more of a rustic look.  Here is my DIY-spin on her beautiful work of art.

Supplies

Canvas (11 x 14)
Acrylic paint in two colors (one for cavas, one for state outline)
Larger (I used a 2 inch) foam paint brush
Small paint brush
Optional: Pencil

Tutorial

1.  Paint your canvas in your color of choice with the large foam brush.  I chose a deep currant color, to match the color scheme in my kitchen.  I also chose to only do one coat, so that it would look slightly rugged and rustic - doing 2 or more coats would give a more even look, as seen in the original piece. 
2.  Once dry, you can then go one of two ways.  The first, which I probably wouldn't recommend (yet is what I did), is to then take your thin paint brush and begin slowly tracing out the outline of your state.  I did it this way because recreating this piece was somewhat of an impulse project for me, and I didn't have a pencil on hand.  The smarter option, however, would be to first trace it out using a pencil - this way, errors can be corrected or go unnoticed.  I lucked up!  You will want to begin with any of your state's boundaries that will not include the "home" variant.  As for which side to use for drawing "home", I recommend the longest, straightest side.  
3.  If you chose to first trace with a pencil, you will then want to go over it carefully with the other acrylic paint of your choice.

And that's it!  This was a pretty easy and quick project for me.  Now to find a place in the house for it!  What do ya'll think?  Any Pinterest projects you'd like to me take a stab at?  Let me know!

You Might Also Like

0 comments