Latest Posts

Tutorial: Clampless Curling Iron Curls

By 4:34 PM , , , , , , , , , , , ,


How's everyone doing on this Sunday afternoon?
My older sister flew in today to spend some time down South for her birthday, and I tagged along with my mother to surprise her at the airport!  And since I didn't want to look like a bum for the first time my sister saw me in months, I did a little something with my hurr.


I need to do a review of this curling iron, because it is my absolute favorite.  It is called the "You Curl" by Conair, and I got it for $29.99 at Target a few months back.  I didn't expect much, considering it was a $30 wand, but I wanted to try the new "clampless" trend!  I got the larger of the two barrels they offer(1.5 - 2 inch curls) since my hair is constantly getting longer and longer.  I was so pleasantly surprised at how amazing this iron is.  No lie, it literally takes me half the time to do this than to straighten my hair.


The iron itself comes with a small, three-finger heat resistant glove that I do not use.  In my opinion, it made it harder to hold onto your hair - however, I do get burned every now and then!  So fair warning:  Try it with and without the glove; whatever is easier for you, go for it!

Let me begin by saying that to start off with, I washed my hair the night previous to curling it, and the only products in my hair at the time of curling it were Healthy Sexy Hair's Soy Tri-Wheat Leave in Conditioner ($16.95) and Chi's Silk Infusion ($24.95).  Woke up, brushed out my mop of a bedhead, and went to work.  Here are the easiest step-by-steps I can think of!

1.  Begin by brushing out your hair, even if it is naturally thin or straight.  This will help make creating the different layers much easier and prevent risk of tangling, which can cause breakage!
2.  Section half of your hair on top of your head with a butterfly clip.  I know that starting with a section of HALF of your head of hair may seem kind of excessive, but this is not a "manicured" look!  These curls are meant to look beachy and fun, not completely uniform.  I have very thick hair and this works out fine for me.
3.  Taking the bottom half of your hair that you have down, part it vertically down the back (as though you were making pigtails) and starting with your right side in the back, take a 1 - 1.5 inch section of hair in your left hand.  
4.  This is where it gets a little tricky.  IF YOU ARE RIGHT HANDED:  Take the hand of the iron and hold it so that your thumb is at the "back" end, where the cord begins, and your pinky is at the end closest to the curling barrell itself.  Take the section of hair in your left hand, and wrap it AWAY from your face around the barrell until there is about a half inch of your ends left.  Holding it in place(and being careful to not burn yourself!) count to 11, and then slowly pull the remaining ends around as you drop the section of hair.
5.  Repeat this on the entire right side of the bottom section of hair, then the left side.
6.  Spray (lightly! I swear these curls will NOT fall) with hairspray; I recommend Kenra Volumizing Hair Spray ($26.00).
7.  Repeat on the top half, and spray once more.

These curls are the best for workdays, school days, or just busy days in general.  It is my promise to you that they WILL NOT fall!  And this is coming from a gal whose hair falls no matter what. :) Try it out and let me know whatcha think!

You Might Also Like

0 comments